A few weeks ago I was lucky enough to meet Levi Roots while I was styling the food at a Reggae Reggae Sauce shoot. You may have seen the Jamaican food entrepreneur singing about his sauce on Dragons Den… I’ve always loved the sauce, I use it a lot for last minute marinades. Jamaican food is absolutely amazing and reminds me sooo much of food from Bahia in Brazil. We use a lot of the same marinades and spices in our dishes in Brazil as they do in the Caribbean and we also both use a lot of the same fruits in our cooking…. which is why I was absolutely stunned by this hack for peeling a mango which I’ve never seen before!
Amazingly I managed to get this quick video of him teaching the team how to peel a mango using a glass and I could not wait to share the video here! I’d never seen anything like it before and it’s so bloody clever!
I hate peeling mango, and I now use this tip all the time to save me time and effort!
(PS Thanks to 105 Photography for editing this video!)
HOW TO PEEL A MANGO
- Cut off the mango “cheeks” aka the fattest park of the mango, cutting as close to the stone as possible.
- You should be left with two “cheeks.”
- Take one Mango cheek in the palm of your hand and press the cut fruit into the side of a glass, using the glass to peel the skin of the mango away from the flesh.
- Manouver the mango flesh into the glass, pressing hard to remove the skin.
- Voila! Remove the flesh of the mango from the glass and chop into slivers or chunks, depending on your preference.